How to: Download and install Fring on Nokia N95, free VOIP calls!
April 22, 2007 by Dario Soltani
“Fring uses your mobile internet connection to make peer-to-peer VoIP calls, send instant messages and talk with VoIP applications such as Skype, Google Talk , MSN Messenger and SIP at no extra cost.”
This is great, because it means you can use your phone to make free calls at WiFi hotspots, using WiFi in your home network or by signing a flat-rate contract with your carrier.
Read more for installation instructions…
First thing you’ll need to do is to register yourself at by downloading Fring in our software section. The installation is free.
Fill in the form in the following order:
- Handset type field: Select the type of mobile handset that you have.
Note: fring is only currently available for the handsets listed in the dropdown box.
- Your country field: select your country.
- Mobile number field: type in the phone number of your handset.
Note: Enter your area code and phone number without any spaces. Type it carefully – your international number is your fring user-id.
- Email field: type in your email address.
- Click get it now!
The confirmation screen opens and an SMS is sent to your handset. Once you have received the SMS, the installation and setup process continues on your handset.
- Open the SMS message and click the download link. Accept connection requests and download the file (the Fring application). Once you have completed downloading fring, the phone will ask “Install fring?”, press Yes.
- Proceed with the installation following the instructions on your screen.
- During the installation process a screen indicating that the automatic access point detection did not properly may appear. If this happends, select your 3G/GPRS or WiFi connection (and not your WAP connection).
Registering to Fring
A short registration process is required before you can begin to use fring.
The stages of this process are:
- Nickname and Password Selection
The registration screen allows you to select your nickname and the password you will use to access your fring account. Your fring nickname will help your friends find you easily. A password is required to secure your account and to protect your fring contact list.Use the keys on your handset to choose the nickname and password you want to use.
Passwords must be at least 4 characters.
The user-id used to identify your account is the international phone number of your handset. It cannot be changed. Your friends can search for you and contact you using this number.
- Service Definition
Once you have chosen your fring nickname and password, provide the details of our VoIP service (e.g., Skype, MSN Messenger or GTalk) so that you can begin making and receiving VoIP calls.You can add one or more VoIP services (e.g., Skype) to which you are registered. Make sure to have your username and password for each. If you do not already have a VoIP account, register on the Web before you begin to add networks. You can add a VoIP service at any time.
Navigate between the options using the up and down arrows on your handset to configure the service you wish to use.