How to: Determine where your Nokia phone was made

May 4, 2007 by

Rumor is phones built in Finland have greater build quality than those built elsewhere. You can find out where your Nokia phone was made by looking at the IMEI-code. You’ll find your IMEI-code by pressing *#06# when in idle menu, or you could just take out your battery and look at the label on the bottom of the battery case. IMEI-code: ######/##/######/#

• First 6 digits = Type Approval Code
  • 7th and 8th digit = Country made in (check country codes below)
  • 9-14th digits = Serial number
  • 15th digit = Check digit

Country codes 01 = Finland 10 = Finland 20 = Germany 30 = Korea 40 = China 50 = Brazil, USA, Finland 60 = Hong Kong, China, Mexico 70 = Finland 80 = Hungary 91 = Finland

button How to: Determine where your Nokia phone was made

Comments

12 Responses to “How to: Determine where your Nokia phone was made”

1. LarsG on May 5th, 2007 02:32

Phone bought in Norway. Digit 7 and 8 of my IMEI is ’01′. Label under battery says Made in Finland.

Build quality seems just fine, except for the slider not being snug in closed position (gap on right side, so I get that clicky noise when using the navigation buttons).

2. Dario on May 5th, 2007 09:17

Thanks for you input LarsG. Anyone else have “01″ made in Finland phone?

You might wanna check my Repair wobbly slider on the Nokia N95 post to fix your slider problems.

3. hiro nakamura on May 6th, 2007 01:17

i have 01 and i bought my n95 in holland

4. Pascal on May 7th, 2007 01:47

Mine is also “01″ and label says made in Finland. btw, thanks for the wobbly slider guide, works great!

5. Timo on May 7th, 2007 15:27

Mine says also ’01′ and is made in Finland according to the label behind the battery. Bought from retail store at Finland.

6. Dario on May 7th, 2007 17:27

Alright guys, I think that sums it up pretty well. “01″ = Made in Finland.

7. Peter on May 26th, 2007 16:22

I’ve had 2 which where made in Finland, both have lousy build quality with very loose and wobbly sliders – so much for “Finnish Quality”

Very dissapointed over NOKIA’s QA.

8. Dario on May 27th, 2007 00:44

Yes I’ve heard that also… What can I say? I hope Nokia takes better care of customers in the future.

9. Davy on June 20th, 2007 07:42

I have 01 as 7th and 8th digit however, behind it says made by nokia.Mine came directly from Hong Kong.

10. Dario on June 20th, 2007 21:03

Well davy, thats where the phone was manufactured, not sold… Your phone was probably manufactured in Finland and shipped to Hong Kong.

11. Jean Pier on February 25th, 2009 07:27

hey.. Mine it says 02… and it doesn’t exists in the list… so i think its just a bunch of lies

12. Nokia Conversations » Just where did your Nokia come from? on August 21st, 2012 12:26

[...] China, Brazil, Germany, and more. Here’s what’s pretty cool though, you can actually determine where in the world your phone has come from by having a peak at its IMEI-code. This IMEI-codeĀ can be found by tappingĀ *#06# into your phone, [...]