How to: Improve the Nokia N95 memory issue

May 22, 2007 by

Getting tired with the “Low memory” messages? Here’s some things that can help. handy taskman 1 eng How to: Improve the Nokia N95 memory issue handy taskman 4 eng How to: Improve the Nokia N95 memory issue

1. Buy the Handy Taskman application.
  2. Remove the Search application from your phone. You can reinstall it on your memory card instead if you find it useful.
  3. Check you Application Manager. Some applications are sometimes listed both as installed and as not installed. Delete the not installed files.

If that didn’t help, you could try this (on your own risk!)

• Connect your phone to your PC.
  • Copy all of your important information (such as applications, games, pictures etc) to your PC. Don’t use the content copier.
  • Type *#7370# to do a soft reset. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA, THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PHONES MEMORY.
  • Once again, remove the Search application as desribed in step 2 above.
  • You guessed it, check Applications Manager and delete not installed applications as described in step 3 above.

And this:

• Press and hold the *#3 and the green call button while powering your device on to do a hard reset. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA, THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PHONES MEMORY.
  • Once again, remove the Search application as desribed in step 2 above.

Didn’t help? Try reinstalling your firmware:

• Reinstall your firmware (you’ll find instructions here). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA, THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PHONES MEMORY.
  • Once again, remove the Search application as desribed in step 2 above.

Good luck and let me know if it helped in the forum or using the comment field below. Source

button How to: Improve the Nokia N95 memory issue

Comments

19 Responses to “How to: Improve the Nokia N95 memory issue”

1. Nseries WOM World » Blog Archive » Help with memory for the N95 on May 22nd, 2007 18:29

[...] Soltani, from the N95 guide blog, is helping you out again by suggesting a few ways to solve any ‘out of memory’ issues you might have with the [...]

2. george on May 23rd, 2007 00:04

why do you recommend removing the search program?
    thanks for the advice

3. Dario on May 23rd, 2007 08:08

Well I might be wrong but using Handy Taskman, I could see that the search application simply used a lot of memory capacity. I recommend it to free up resources. It’s not that useful either, is it?

4. Nokia Nseries Discovery Blog » Geheugentips voor de Nokia N95 on May 23rd, 2007 19:16

[...] de blogpost op deze link. Technorati tags: geheugen handy taskman n95 nokia [...]

5. george on May 24th, 2007 00:43

i have used the search program once per day almost every day that i have had the n95 (approx 1month) to look up business phone numbers and addresses. the ability to search for items inside the device is usefull to me also as i use the pim features and am constantly having to look up old appointments or search for an old email for some info i have forgotten. i find it usefull.

i did delete the seach software and re-installed it to the memory card to see if it makes a difference.

thanks again

6. Dario on May 24th, 2007 09:57

Neat, you really use that application hehe :)
    So did it help?

7. Nokia Nseries Discovery Blog » Tuyaux pour le Nokia N95 on May 25th, 2007 15:19

[...] blogpost se trouve sur ce lien. Technorati tags:mémoire N95 nokia nseries out of memory [...]

8. george on May 27th, 2007 02:45

i had removed the search program and installed it to the memory card. i have not been using my n95 for the last full week as i also bought an E61i because i was missing having a full qwerty board. i just put the sim back in the n95 today and the battery life was brutal!!! i removed another program that i had never used before to rule out that culprit, and when i went to use the search program it kept crashing my phone. i have two different install files on my computer and i figured out that i had installed the wrong one to my n95 memory card. long story short (too late now) i will be using it tonight and tomorrow and will see if there is a difference.

9. Dario on May 27th, 2007 12:38

Hehe okay George. I would have waited for the E90 instead of the E61 but thats a matter of assets ;) Keep in touch!

10. Dale on March 18th, 2008 22:12

you are a legend, this stopped me from smashing my phone to pieces!!!!

11. David Farmer on September 21st, 2008 12:29

I did a *#7370# and removed the search function.

Previously had something like 160KB of memory – I now have 16MB of free memory!

Sorted.

12. Steve Purse on October 22nd, 2008 03:27

Please help! I have purchased Handy Taskman following your recommendation in order to remove the search facility off my Nokia N95. I cannot find anyway of removing the search facility. Please help as the ‘memory full’ problem is frustrating me so much. Thanks

13. Dario Soltani on October 22nd, 2008 11:09

Hi Steve.
    Use Handy Taskman to close applications that you dont use and take up your memory. To use it, just hold the menu button. You can then select each process to see how much memory it consumes and press C to terminate it.

To remove the search application (not sure if it works with new firmware versions?) you need to go to Menu – Applications – Application manager (or something) and uninstall “SEARCH”.

14. Steve Purse on October 23rd, 2008 00:43

I have bought Handy Taskman and it hasnt helped. I cant terminate search and I cant uninstall it. My firmware must be the sort that wont allow it. I have stripped out everything I dont need and I still cannot get more memory free. I am thinking that the only solution is a new phone. I have tried everything!! Have you got any other ideas? I have formatted the memory card as some forums suggested to. I have reset factory settings, this was supposed to clear the phone memory. When I add back my contacts, calendar and the minimum I can get away with I am back to square one!!!

15. reza on December 3rd, 2008 03:55

my text massege dont send … n95

16. rajesh on May 9th, 2009 12:13

I dont think ‘memory full’ problem has any connection with phone(n95) memory, rather,’RAM’ seems to b the key of this problem as i have left 100MB internal memo. free in my n95 and still its showing ‘mem.Full’ while browsing some large sites.And reset or hard format is not going to help anyway. Nor i wish to upgrade ,caz i wont b able to use ‘helcarbide, the security cracker’. Pls. guide

17. Dre frm jamaica on January 13th, 2012 07:34

I want 2 find hw 2 clear d ram.i knw i years bt i stil my n95. i figured out that d ram keeps running out of memory wit a little app i use called netqin.it sumsort a antivirus r sumtin.bt hw 2 clear d ram is d prob.

18. SymbChisa on January 15th, 2012 13:06

My Nokia N95 is having memory issues right now, I make sure only Opera Mobile 11 runs but the phone memory is not enough even for one lousy site!
    The Opera Mini works fine but it does not support dynamic scripts like chat widgets :o (

I see a “search” installed in the App. Manager on my phone – actually, there’s more than one.

As it shows in the app manager: 2 “Search”, 1 “search-globalplugins” and several “search-localplugins-*” – * for countries like IT, FI, SE, UK, DE, DK…

How do I reinstall Search in case I change my mind? If I uninstall, it disappears from the list.

I’d appreciate any help you can give me.

19. SymbChisa on January 15th, 2012 18:56

Just installed jbaktaskman to watch which files are running, but have yet to figure out if program allows to know how much cpu for each one of them.

Does anyone know the file name for search? Maybe I could stop it from running and avoid uninstalling it altogether.

Thx.