How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply

June 5, 2007 by

.resized 35x33 symtorrent logo.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made SimplyAfter a little digging I came up with two different clients that caught my interest. WizBit and SymTorrent.

WizBit is a BitTorrent client for Smartphones written by David Hulbert for his final year project at Exeter University. Eventhough the project isn’t yet complete, David does offer an alpha version for conceptual purposes, which doesn’t download files yet but is able to connect to a tracker and retrieve a list of peers from it. This software will according to my opinion have the best functionality in it’s class, when all the ideas listed on the dev-log are implemented. I’m looking forward to testing the final version around the announced date, 7 of July!

SymTorrent on the other hand is a fully functional and freely available alternative that’s distributed under the GNU GP-License! Now to 3 easy steps on how to download torrents on your symbian device!

1. After installing the program, launch it and you’ll meet the following screen. In the ‘Settings’ make sure you have chosen a download directory where you have enough space to download files to. The program by default creates ‘BitTorrent’ folders.
    screenshot0021.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simplyscreenshot0023.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simplyscreenshot0024.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply
  2. Now we need to import the torrent file you’ve earlier saved on your Symbian device, in order to download begin the download. Choose ‘Add torrent file’ and pick a desired torrent file.
    screenshot0022.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simplyscreenshot0025.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply
  3. Kick back, put on some music and behold the wonders of modern technology! Your file should be downloading now.
    screenshot0026.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simplyscreenshot0027.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simplyscreenshot0028.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply

screenshot0034.thumbnail How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply

While you’re waiting you can check file status or see how the progress bar slowly turns red for segments that are ‘on the way’ and then green when they arrive and are validated. When your downloads are complete you should find them in your assigned ‘BitTorrent’ folder. If you’re wondering about speeds, the highest I got was about 115kB/s download, upload isn’t worth mentioning as my router blocks the upload port.

GOOD

• Very easy to use and configure (didn’t actually need to configure a thing).
  • Built in tracker and possibility to create own torrent files.

BAD

• Lacks the possibility of searching sites for torrents.
  • Not enough functionality like downloading specific files in a torrent or changing priority on files.

Via Wizbit, Dave1010, Symbian-freak.com

button How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply

Comments

22 Responses to “How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply”

1. steven_s on February 27th, 2008 21:39

i have a question regarding this. if i’m downloading a ‘shady’ torrent which could have the potential virus (written to harm a PC) could this also harm my n95 8gb?

2. Dario Soltani on February 29th, 2008 14:52

Hi steven. Im no security expert but I would say no, a PC virus can not harm a symbian device, because they work totally different (different OS’s!). Also, a symbian virus would pretty much require you to manually install an application, so the risk is quite low.

3. steven_s on March 1st, 2008 06:44

thanks for the reply! hopefully no harm will come my way :P

4. p2p on n95? - Nokia N95Users on April 25th, 2008 00:03

[...] Programs as such, how ever you can use torrents. Program called "WizBit" apparently. Info! __________________ If you appreciate help from a member, then show it by clicking on the [...]

5. Is there any P2P app for smart mobiles ? - P2P - TechEnclave on September 17th, 2008 06:51

[...] there is a torrent app for symbian s60 — SymTorrent for S60 3rd edition! How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply | Simply Symbian and direct download apps too.. Freeware: SmartGET – Powerful S60 download manager both work [...]

6. jon on November 8th, 2008 00:53

hi–

How do you actually get a torrent onto your s60 phone? I’m using an e71 and I’ve downloaded the symtorrent application with no problem; however, whenever I try to download a torrent to my phone it says not supported. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

7. Dario Soltani on December 19th, 2008 21:27

jon: First you need to download the torrent to your phone memory, then you start the torrent applications mentioned above and load the torrent file with the application itself.

8. coxynewp on January 3rd, 2009 22:49

i’m new to the torrent side of things too.. And also having trouble putting the files onto my phone.. Do i have to download to pc then transfer across to my n95 card.. And then use the symtorrent..
    Please could some1 advise please

9. enridemce on January 11th, 2009 00:00

thanks

10. CoxyNewp on January 22nd, 2009 23:27

YES I DOWNLOADED MY FIRST TORRENT! 7days game..
    But sad news.. Once downloaded i couldn’t run the thing.!
    Think it was the wrong format for the n95..
    Will try again. And post results for any1 who want’s to know please contact me!

11. Ivan on April 25th, 2009 10:09

CoxyNewp,could you please say where I can find torrents? The whole thing is something of a mystery for me

12. sandesh on December 26th, 2009 15:41

it sayscertificate expired for me when i try to install it , btw i have e63 , any ideas ???

13. gh on January 12th, 2010 16:09

i get.same.certifocate.pdoblem plz help

14. zaigham on February 11th, 2010 14:49

dear all from can i get torrent file as i have only .sis file thats it. where is torrent file and from where can i get this.

15. beingharsh on February 28th, 2010 19:18

hi guys,
    If u get cerificate problem then change ur phone date to 2007 or 08, i did the same for my e63, dont forget to change it back to exact time after installation is over, if u dont it wont conect to net

16. kuek on March 8th, 2010 09:39

fail to parse torrent..wats mean?

17. ruzaini on June 6th, 2010 08:00

why when i start download my torrent, it didn’t start??

18. Gowda on December 31st, 2011 09:06

Torrent files is not getting added to symtorrent. . .itz showing failed to parse(wrong format). .someone plz help to sort it out. . .

19. Gowda on December 31st, 2011 09:33

If the symtorrent fails to parse. . .browse the torrent files fro phne memory rather than memory card. . .

20. Hemal on May 29th, 2012 03:02

I am unable to open torrents still. I browsed through phone memory for torrent file but I still get the failed to parse error.

21. Ganesh on November 30th, 2012 15:28

I can’t download certain files! Torrent client displays parse error for most of the torrent file. Any advice admin?

22. irfan khan on March 6th, 2013 23:02

I use symtorrent on nokia e63.but i have no file to
    download.so from where i download the torrent
    file.