How to: Torrent for Symbian made Simply
June 5, 2007 by Don Smith
After a little digging I came up with two different clients that caught my interest. WizBit and SymTorrent.
WizBit is a BitTorrent client for Smartphones written by David Hulbert for his final year project at Exeter University. Eventhough the project isn’t yet complete, David does offer an alpha version for conceptual purposes, which doesn’t download files yet but is able to connect to a tracker and retrieve a list of peers from it. This software will according to my opinion have the best functionality in it’s class, when all the ideas listed on the dev-log are implemented. I’m looking forward to testing the final version around the announced date, 7 of July!
SymTorrent on the other hand is a fully functional and freely available alternative that’s distributed under the GNU GP-License! Now to 3 easy steps on how to download torrents on your symbian device!
- After installing the program, launch it and you’ll meet the following screen. In the ‘Settings’ make sure you have chosen a download directory where you have enough space to download files to. The program by default creates ‘BitTorrent’ folders.
- Now we need to import the torrent file you’ve earlier saved on your Symbian device, in order to download begin the download. Choose ‘Add torrent file’ and pick a desired torrent file.
- Kick back, put on some music and behold the wonders of modern technology! Your file should be downloading now.
While you’re waiting you can check file status or see how the progress bar slowly turns red for segments that are ‘on the way’ and then green when they arrive and are validated. When your downloads are complete you should find them in your assigned ‘BitTorrent’ folder. If you’re wondering about speeds, the highest I got was about 115kB/s download, upload isn’t worth mentioning as my router blocks the upload port.
- Very easy to use and configure (didn’t actually need to configure a thing).
- Built in tracker and possibility to create own torrent files.
- Lacks the possibility of searching sites for torrents.
- Not enough functionality like downloading specific files in a torrent or changing priority on files.