Sony Ericsson W960 Walkman phone based on Symbian OS
June 16, 2007 by Don Smith
Sony Ericsson announced the new W960 Walkman phone, based on Symbian OS. The W960 is the fifth phone in the Sony Ericsson portfolio based on the Symbian OS v9 and UIQ 3.0 platform, following the P1, P990, M600i and W950. The phone, competing in the same sector as the Nokia N95 and the soon to come iPhone, seems to deliver few news and is in no way revolutionary. In fact, this device seems to lack all power functionality (such as GPS, TV or multi-touch-controls).
The W960 Walkman phone is a combination of slim UMTS phone and high performance media player. It can pack up to 8,000 songs (using eAAC+ format) and includes a Walkman player for “finger-touch navigation” around play lists. The 2.6″ display serves as a viewfinder for a 3.2 mega pixel camera and as a widescreen for watching videos.
The W960 features:
- Boxed with 8Gb of flash memory
- 128MB RAM
- Transfers 1Gb of data in less than three minutes (USB 2.0)
- Two stylish headsets supplied in the box (one of these the new Stereo Bluetooth™ Headset HBH-DS220)
- GSM, UMTS (3G), WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Music listening time of up to 27 hours
- 2.6″ touchscreen with 282 144 colours, 240×320 (QVGA) resolution.
- Hardware accelerated 3D graphics and support for Open GL ES graphics
- Touch control, buttons or stylus (however no multi-touch functionality)
- Video playback at 30 frames per second, which is the same as TV quality
- Opera browser
- 3.2 megapixel camera, 16mm frame, auto focus
- 119g with dimensions of 109x55x16 mm
You couldn’t ask for a better music mix of high performance media player and intuitive phone. The touchscreen is complemented by a regular keyboard and the phone itself is amplified by the Media Manager programme and the many music accessories. The days of taking an MP3 player, a camera and a phone with you when you leave the house are definitely over.
Nicklas Sivander, Product Manager for the W960 Walkman® phone, Sony Ericsson, sums it up.
The Sony Ericsson W960 Walkman® phone is UMTS 2100-GSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900 and will be available in Vinyl Black from Q4 2007.