How to: Use the Nokia N95 GPS/A-GPS

August 16, 2007 by

So you’re disappointed with the GPS functions on the Nokia N95? Is it slow? Can’t get lock ons or loosing your position frequently? No problem, this post will describe everything you need to know to use your built in GPS to the fullest.

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Nokia Map Loader.

Why? Because it’s much faster than the first version. At the time of writing the latest version was numbered v1.1. The new Maploader software now comes with voice commands in 24 languages and the download speeds (both for maps and voices) are MUCH better (we’re talking max 10 minutes for a country, instead of the ~6 hours it took before). You can download and install Nokia Map Loader from Nokia’s website:

2. New http://europe.nokia.com/A4509291

3. Make sure you have the latest firmware version on your Nokia N95

This enables the new A-GPS feature making GPS positioning/locks much faster and more stable. At the time of writing the latest firmware version was numbered v12.0.013. You can find the complete changelog here. You can check your current firmware version by typing *#0000# when in idle screen. If you need to update your firmware, I’ve written an extensive article on how to upgrade your do this here:

How to: Upgrade your Nokia N95 firmware
  4. Download the maps you need

Run the Nokia Maps software in your phone once, with the micro sd card inserted. Now connect your N95 to the PC in Mass Storage mode (with the USB cable) or insert your micro sd card into a compatible reader and download the maps you require with the Nokia Map Loader application.
  5. Access points

If you have an unlimited data plan you should always use your GPRS or HSDPA connection (because it won’t cost you anything). You change these settings inside the maps program on your N95. The connection will be used for:
    • Downloading maps that you haven’t already downloaded via the Nokia Map Loader application.
    • Accessing (many) extra points of interests that do not come with the default maps.
    • Resolving 7-digit postcodes like in England, otherwise you’ll only get a maximum of 5 digits. Or is it 4?
    • Downloading navigational voices (you can do this in the new map loader program, however).
    • Resolving address searches for which you do not have map data for (e.g. other country)
  6. Enable the Assisted GPS (A-GPS)

To use the A-GPS you will need to use a 3G/EDGE/GPRS connection as WiFi is not supported. You’ll find the configuration settings under

• Make sure you have a tick next to ‘Assisted GPS’ under

Tools > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning Methods
    • Choose the connection you wish to use with A-GPS under

Tools > Settings > General > Positioning > Positioning Server.

Each A-GPS server request is approximately 5KB of data, which is cheap even for those who pay by the Kb.

The mapping program and the maps are free. Nokia make money by charging you for navigation. You can of course have it map you out a route from A to B, and ‘track’ you all the way there. It won’t alter the orientation of the screen, that’s one of things that you pay for with navigation, and also the you pay to get vocal turn-by-turn directions.

There are no ‘default maps’. All maps are downloaded via the Map Loader application or over-the-air. You probably want to update your maps regularly, as map information is added regularly. This is even more important when using paid navigation (voice navigation) as navigational routing information is stored in the map data itself. If you have navigational problems and the turn-by-turn information isn’t working satisfactory this can be a solution as new updates will correct errors in the routing information.

Source: Saladak2

button How to: Use the Nokia N95 GPS/A GPS

Comments

48 Responses to “How to: Use the Nokia N95 GPS/A-GPS”

1. Maciek on August 16th, 2007 23:40

Does anyone know what port A-GPS server is is using on N95?  With the recent cripple of T-Zones in Chicago area I am not sure if the positioning data goes through as it takes quite longer than it did originally after I upgraded to v12 firmware. Maciekwww.symbiosis60.com

2. JKE on August 17th, 2007 00:04

So now the only open question is how to remove maps for countries from the microSD card.  The other day I travelled to Sweden, downloaded the map in advance and now I don’t need it any longer. Currently, the only way to remove it is by deleting the private (=maps) folder and reinstalling the maps via Map Loader. Or?

3. Tarek Ghazali on August 17th, 2007 01:56

I wonder if GPS locks on where I’m living; Egypt. I still didn’t get the chance to try it.

4. elcin on August 17th, 2007 07:53

Maciek, 7275 is the port number

5. steven on August 17th, 2007 16:06

great post :)

6. Chris on August 17th, 2007 19:15

positioning server is: supl.nokia.com To delete maps from your card, just go into the maploader program and there is a button to clear the maps from your memory card. If you are using maploader 1.1, it is near the bottom right under the list of added maps. This function will clear all maps, not just the one you want…I’m in Canada so we don’t have unlimited data… actually, it is the opposite. The cellphone companies here have direct access to our wallets and charge us an arm and a leg for each kilobyte used (in the order of 15-25 cents per kilobyte). But that didn’t stop me from trying out A-GPS and I’m glad to say it works. Before, it took about 2-3 minutes to get a lock, with A-GPS, it was around 30 seconds. It used about 8k of data. So now I know that if I need a quick lock I just need to turn on AGPS and leave it off when I have time to wait.I have an N95 with the latest firmware and using maploader 1.1It would be nice to have unlimited data – ROGERS are you listening?

7. Nokia N95 - Como melhorar o uso do GPS | rodrigostoledo.com on August 17th, 2007 20:17

[...] Veja também o post How to: Use the Nokia N95 GPS/A-GPS. [...]

8. Dario on August 18th, 2007 07:52

JKE: About deleting maps I’m afraid you are correct. At the moment, we have no easy way of deleting maps except for those methods you suggested.

9. Dario on August 18th, 2007 07:54

Chris: Great and very informative reply Smiley

10. How to Improving your N95 GPS usage : Mobile Phones - Latest Mobile Phones - New Mobile Phones on August 18th, 2007 13:53

[...] Drop over to their website I hope it’s help here [...]

11. Deep Mobile » Blog Archive » How to Improving your N95 GPS usage on August 18th, 2007 15:35

[...] Drop over to their website I hope it’s help here [...]

12. Vishal on September 4th, 2007 01:42

Hi XChris I am halifax. Could you please give meyour conatc#. I m new and would like to use gps. I have not figured out yet how to use it and which is the cheap method as well.

13. Dario Soltani on September 4th, 2007 09:10

Vishal:

You can read a guide on how to activate the a-gps function by reading this.

14. steven on October 18th, 2007 16:06

Hello, i have a question regarding A-GPS. If under settings-> positioning methods the checkmark is there for AGPS and integrated GPS, but in the Nokia Map program i NEVER allow network useage, would the phone still use AGPS and connect through my network provider? I would only like to switch AGPS on/off when i really need to lock on quickly, otherwise i don’t mind the 3 minute wait. Or would i have to uncheck AGPS as well as never allow network useage to ensure i don’t get charged? thanks :)

15. Joe on October 19th, 2007 23:24

In Nokia N 95 how do I remove an e-mail account that I no longer use?

16. Dario Soltani on October 22nd, 2007 08:27

Joe: Are you using the built-in email client?

17. Dario Soltani on October 22nd, 2007 08:29

Steven: I think not. But you can make sure if you check the number of bytes you transfer before and after.

18. Tabzie on July 16th, 2008 18:47

Hi there,
    when i start nokia maps it says “network usage disabled. you can enable it from application settings”
    what is this fault and how can i fix it ?
    i can get routes and everything but it keeps saying “waiting for GPS” why is this ?

Help me please

Regards
    Tabzie

19. aziz on August 20th, 2008 01:55

i get about 5 satelites, but everytime i click route to or route from, i get no gps position. its the biggest piece of crap ever.

20. I bought 3 n95 from uk and brought it to italy. Its gps is not working. Why on October 8th, 2008 16:43

What is the problem?

21. peter king on November 4th, 2008 17:41

hi, is there any software out there to make the n95 gps work for marine apps as i cant find anything anywhere

22. Dario Soltani on November 5th, 2008 16:53

Peter King: I really dont know anything about marine apps. Sorry…

23. mg on November 8th, 2008 11:20

is it possible to connect the gps on a e90 to an external pda or pc thru blue tooth??

24. Dester on November 23rd, 2008 05:59

well…i got my N95 but i dosen`t know how to use the Nokia Maps..please tell me by the method how to use it..thx

25. Nokia n95 on December 15th, 2008 20:12

Hey, i wonder how to connect with the sattelites, it always say found 4 or 3 but still i cant zoom it to were i want? any idea how?

26. Dario Soltani on December 19th, 2008 21:28

mg: not that I know off, but I see no reason why not. You need a custom made application to do that (talking as a software developer).

27. Rob on January 21st, 2009 10:09

Please help me. The Nokia Map Loader application needs windows and I have Linux. Cannot find a solution for this. How can I load the Nokia maps to my phone??

28. Agron on March 4th, 2009 21:20

i dont now how to use the gps on my nokia …can anyone of you here help me ???please :)

29. jacky on March 7th, 2009 03:26

HELLO,want to learn about how to use n95, you can view http://www.mobilephone02.com, more about phones

30. siavash on March 19th, 2009 00:17

gps n95 8g

31. BeN707 on March 19th, 2009 19:34

how to use gps??????its reli hard…im using nokia N95

32. BeN707 on March 19th, 2009 19:37

im using nokia n95…Im having problem with the gps system…please help me

~Benedic Doray~

33. ray on March 26th, 2009 19:47

Even with the latest Maps 3.0, its a piece of crap.

1. I am on a pay-as-you-go plan, and the damn thing keeps accessing the network even though I have told it not to (Positioning-> only Integrated GPS, dont go online while starting) but the POS still keeps accessing for some goddamn reason. Does it secretly ring home ? Whats going on…I’ve never been as frustrated with this stupid phone after reading all the positive fan-boy reviews…damn I was taken for a ride !!

2. Why dont they shove the CD that comes with it up their A#@ as it is so outdated ..just dont send a CD dammit, dont waste our time. I had to uninstall and reinstall eveything to get the stupid latest software to work.

3. Never gets a lock into GPS on time, sometimes never, whereas Google maps always gets it in a few seconds.

I’ll stick to (ugh) Apple or (uggggh) Windows products next time instead of this european crap that has a charge for every inifinitesmal addon. Dont believe all the hype about a lot of software being available for Symbian…just loads of crap !!

34. RO on April 25th, 2009 11:55

LoL
    Its strange to listen people speaking BS about nokia N95. Nokia is the largest and most profitable cell phone company in the world – so yes, they obviously can make phones.

N95 requirements:
    1. IQ above 80
    2. Read manual

Well obviously people oversees dont meet these requirements. So if you have some problem = read the manual ! Because people commenting here obviously didnt read it – so dont be incompetent. (but well what can I expect from people who cant even use gear-box in car, right?)

35. RO on April 25th, 2009 12:02

“how to use gps??????its reli hard…im using nokia N95″

lol, what’s so hard to click on Menu / Maps? And wait 10 secs on a-gps lock? If you dont know what a-gps is or how to use it = again you need to read manual.

36. Paul on June 8th, 2009 08:11

Hey! i’ve a nokia 6210 navigator. Have seen how great the gps is, most especially when am using it with google free map. What i really don’t understand is even under a clear sky it sometimes does not get my location co-ordinate. What factor affects the number of satelite signal one can get? My location is calabar in nigeria

37. someone on July 20th, 2009 23:30

this post written for the ignorant person above called “ray”

If you don’t know how to use devices then go back to school

1. I have N95 8GB locks fast and it NEVER connects automatically at the startup, If you want to know how then go back as I told you^ I’m not your teacher here.

2. What you said about the CD is NONSENSE, every manufacturer send CD and It gets old by the time when shipped, If you don’t like it throw it from the window that will be good in your case.

3. It’s fast and flawless but the holder is s**t who can’t understand things what else the poor phone can do with such an owner.

4. Apple & Windows for high IQ people too, so you’ll go to the forums and start whining about these systems soon.

Take my advice and stay faaar away from the technology it’s not for you.

38. bev on July 27th, 2009 13:22

just got n95,confused how to access the gps,keeps meaiting like its loading,for ages,is that normal..

39. ax5636 on July 31st, 2009 00:37

hey! i’ve found out no need to hack hardware or use a-gps. open GPS data in connectivity folder , look at satellite status and hold the phone far from your body. I always get connection in less than 1 minute. then exit GPS data and open nokiamaps. Garmin also locks faster than nokia maps, so i suspect the problem is in nokia maps sotware. I put GPS data icon in active stanby applications for quick launch.

40. Mauro on August 25th, 2009 23:21

Who needs that crap of Maps or Google Maps when you can have Garmin Mobile XT on your N95…. a bit of research, mininova.com and patience go a loooooong way….

41. Yusuf on November 1st, 2009 02:14

Thanks Darrio, it is all work out. I now enjoy the new GPS system after following all the instruction you post here and the sublink followed, thank you so much.

42. TJ on January 20th, 2010 10:56

I just want to do something simple -to update the current old GPS maps in my Nokia N95. I think the current version is version 2, and I’d like to upgrade to the current version 3.0. I have used the trick about changing the date, and what it does is that it no longer displays the “Certificate Error, contact application supplier” warning. Instead, after downloading, it briefly displays a message saying ‘Updating Phone Contents’ or something like that, but when I look at the Map in the phone, it is still the same old version, not the newer version 3.0. l know this because I managed to update the maps in my other phone (Nokia E71) and it worked. By the way, I have upgraded the firmware in the phone, to the current version 31.01.017.

PLEASE HELP, I’M NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NEXT, SHORT OF CHUCKING THE N95 AWAY AND BUYING A NEW, BETTER PHONE.

43. kenny on May 11th, 2010 10:30

pls i need the TV out cable

44. innocendreams on May 29th, 2010 19:09

hi kenny :) go to your nearest mobile repair shop or any other mobile shop and get a tv out cable:) its fun :) i love using it when i m on video phone

45. innocendreams on May 29th, 2010 19:12

hi Dario i tried to update my n95 using the nokia software updater just as you said: but after a while i get this error message and it stops::::pls tell us what to do the messAGE is as follows, you might be using none comercial software on my device pls help

46. shravan.kumar on September 14th, 2010 16:17

my location in india

47. Micheal on September 17th, 2010 09:41

I havea Nokia N95 bought with navfone and i want to get rid of this NAVFONE as every two months it asks for me to buy the full version.
    I have done that but still shuts down and asks again.

Is there any way to get rid of navfone and what other program can I use.

Also how to get good update maps of where I am working HANOI VIETNEM

48. on the web on September 22nd, 2012 00:53

Aw, this was a really nice poѕt. Finding
    thе time аnԁ actuаl effort
    to proԁuсe a gοod artiсle? but whаt
    сan I ѕay? I put thingѕ off
    a ωhole lot anԁ don’t manage to get anything done.