How to: Install and play Quake on your Symbian Phone!

September 10, 2007 by

Quake1_paket.gif

This post has been updated and rewritten 2007-12-21!

It’s amazing what the Nokia N-series devices are capable of. Did you know it’s possible to play the original Quake (yes the exact same game, not a simplified modified lame version) with hardware accelerated graphics and all on your phone. Just check this video out:

This is all thanks to a Finnish guy called Hinkka. He’s ported the original Quake to Symbian S60 phones with Feature Pack 1 (FP1) and a ARM V6 processor using P.I.P.S.

This is what you’ll need to do to install Quake on your phone:

1. Download and install the Symbian P.I.P.S. C-runtime library

You’ll find the file here. Download it to your PC and transfer it to your phone using the USB cable.

2. Copy files from the original Quake game to your phone

To do this you’ll need one of the following:

• The original full game

You can buy the full game at idSoftware for $20. If you happen to have the original game stored in your bookshelf you can of course also it.

1. Create a ‘QUAKE1’ folder in the root of your memorycard (NOT in your phones memory).
      2. Copy the ‘ID1’ folder on your original Quake CD to the ‘QUAKE1’ folder you just created.
    • OR

• The free to download shareware Quake demo (which I’m running in the video above).

1. Download the demo here.
      2. Install the game on your PC. It’ll probably be placed in your C:\QUAKE1 folder.
      3. Create a ‘QUAKE1’ folder in the root of your memorycard (NOT in your phones memory).
      4. Create a ‘ID1’ folder in your ‘QUAKE1’ folder which you just created.
      5. Copy the .pak file from your PC to your memory cards ‘ID1’ folder (you’ll probably find the .pak file in your C:\QUAKE1\ID1\ folder, copy it to your memory cards ‘..\QUAKE1\ID1\’ folder)
  3. You can also add gamemusic (this part is not required if you don’t want music)

1. Create a ‘CDAUDIO’ folder in the ‘QUAKE1’ folder on your memory card.
    2. Put what ever music (as long as it’s MP3’s) you want in the ‘CDAUDIO’ folder you just created on your memory card.
    3. Rename the music files ranging from 1.mp3 to 10.mp3.

I’m not sure what bitrates works best but I tried 256kbs and it only reduces performance with 0.1 fps.

4. Download and install the Symbian Quake file

You’ll have to choose the appropriate file for your device. You’ll find the files here

Here’s an explanation on when to use each file:

• Use these if you used the Quake demo .pak file
      quake_v103_armv6_fpu.sisx – Your phones has a floating point unit (ie. N95, E90, etc).
      quake_v103_armv6_nofpu.sisx – Your phones does not have a floating point unit (ie. 6290).

• Use these if you used the original full Quake files and want network play
      quakeworld_v103_armv6_fpu.sisx – Your phones has a floating point unit (ie. N95, E90, etc).
      quakeworld_v103_armv6_nofpu.sisx – Your phones does not have a floating point unit (ie. 6290).

You’re now ready to rock and roll!

Game keys:

Currently the keys are mapped as follows when ingame:

• LSK = return / jump
  • RSK = esc
  • Joystick = forward, back, left, right, fire
  • * = look around (with joystick)
  • # = sidestep
  • c = change weapon
  • green answer key = center view
  • volume up/down = look around/sidestep
  • everything else basicly shoots in the game.

In the console you should be able to type by multitapping. And yes, a bluetooth keyboard really makes life easier!

Please consider to donate hinkka (just click on the paypal icon) for all his efforts with this fantastic game!

Comments

123 Responses to “How to: Install and play Quake on your Symbian Phone!”

1. Allwyn on December 8th, 2008 09:47

Hi frends,
    i am usin n95 8gb… i find it difficult to run the game.though i followed and installed all the above one still tat application is not openenig please anyone help meeeeeee

2. SPIKSY_ST3 on December 11th, 2008 21:47

HELP IT IS NOT WORKING ON MY NOKIA E65….WHY…….I MEAN I SEE NO REASON FOR THAT I HAVE ARM 9 CPU 128 MB SDRAM AND SYMBIAN OS SYSTEM

3. Pa on December 30th, 2008 10:26

Hi!

I have done everything, and placed the .pak file in memorycard/QUAKE1/ID1

But when i try to install the game using Nokia Application Instaler. “quake_v103_armv6_nofpu.sisx ” the phone says something like “Certificate error, contact the programsupplier” I have also tryed the “quake_v103_armv6_fpu.sisx ” but it’s the same problem.

I have a E71 phone… What shall i do, please help :)

4. Best Tips and tricks for Nokia N95 | News Gadget on January 7th, 2009 03:58

[…] QuakePC game which is possible to use on N95 but you need follow difficult install directions. If you can get this one to work, i’ll be impressed.Instructions Simply Symbian […]

5. Best Tips and Tricks for Nokia N95 Part 2 | News Gadget on January 7th, 2009 03:59

6. Fredrik on January 28th, 2009 16:34

Should the game work when installed in “mass memory” (note: NOT in “phone memory”) on my N96 or do I still need to buy a memory card for the game to start?

The reason I’m asking is that I’ve done just that — installed the game in Mass memory\quake1\ID1 — and then installed the Symbian P.I.P.S. C-runtime library. I now have a Quake icon in my “Programs” menu, but nothing happens when I try to start it.

Would deeply appreciate your help.
    /F

7. Pretorian on February 22nd, 2009 03:09

Okay, whats with the “MENU wrong function error” on N73? I see other people get that error too… ;/

8. goti on February 22nd, 2009 06:33

hay wen i want to installe rocknscroll to my phon it gives me thiserror and doesnt let me put it in my phone this is the error:
    “certificate error:

9. edoftech on March 2nd, 2009 16:38

does anyone know if this will work on the e71? as i want to play quake at all times :) also has anyone tried the multiplayer?

10. ariel on May 28th, 2009 00:52

helo! i saw your vide and im impressed.
    now,i have a nokia E71.can this machine get it work?it has 346 mb ram
    (if the “RM”thing is ram when i press*#0000#)please!waiting for an answer!
    thanks!

11. Jooki on July 30th, 2009 00:54

Thx… I got the shareware version to work on my n95(-1) but for some reason the full version didn’t work… it started the game but then had some exec error and had to quit by writing “quit”.

12. george on August 2nd, 2009 17:18

==DARIO==
    i remeber being on this forum last year asking u for help how to play quake 1, i recently found this out about this game called turok: dinosour hunter which looks like a great game, and only needs 16 meg ram to play! heres a video of it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYUA4NMcT3k i tihnk it will be great if u could get this working on symbian phones, ive looked on google for it but no1 has tried putting this game on the n95 yet, i would try myself but i wouldnt know where to start, hope u reply..wb

13. sshock on August 6th, 2009 15:04

hi
    how to play a custom demos in this installation of quake?

14. robert on January 16th, 2010 01:53

does this work in LG KT610? its with a full qwerty keypads. symbian s60v3.

15. carlos on April 15th, 2010 22:13

this game doesnt works in my nokia n75

16. Shalom on April 22nd, 2010 18:47

Yo, thank you soooooooooo much.
    It’s running smoothly in my Nokia 6210 navigator.
    You are a genius !!!

17. mike on April 26th, 2010 22:51

Hi

If anyone gets a chance, will this run on the newly releases 5230 all touch nokia? without buttons and such? fw ver. is 12.8.095.361.02 the processor is like 434mhz, ~100mhz faster than n95’s thank you. There is nothing mentioned of the 5230 so that is why I am asking. I will not install ayhting until i get a green light;) thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Mike

18. mas on February 11th, 2011 22:49

The unthinkable has happened.

Nokia has been taken over by Microsoft. It has been reduced to a mere OEM hardware provider for Microsoft.

The shareholders of Nokia have responded by selling their shares, leading to a 14% drop in Nokia shares value.

Its time for those of us whom have been long served in our daily lives by Nokia, hence our love for not just the hardware or the brand, but the Finnish philosophy of life and service to the greater community, to make a stand and make our voices heard.

Show your support for Nokia and Symbian by buying the Nokia E7 when it’s launch in your area. After that, boycott all Nokia products. This will hopefully show the Nokia Board and the “Analysts” what is important to the end-users of Nokia mobile phones.

Hopefully, this will persuade Elop and Balmer to leave Nokia and Symbian alone.

However, even if this global community action fails, then you would have own the last best Nokia phone ever made, and will ever be made.

The battle cry is:

“Save Symbian, Fire Elop” or “SSFE”

Spread this message to as many Nokia user as you can. The time to act is now….

19. paresh on July 6th, 2011 13:45

hey i just wanted to know if quake 3 can run on the nokia 5233 or 5800 .

20. ALEXANDER on September 14th, 2011 10:37

N73 Dont’t Have Graphics Accelator Quake 1 is Not Working Menu:Not Supported Error I Installed PIPS C# Library Applications but Not Working Same Errors Can I Run Quake 1

PHONE: N73-1 RM133 2007

on Symbian 9.1 (N73) Quake
    1-2 runs on Symbian 9.2 – 9.3
    FP1-FP2 (quake 3 runs on
    Symbian 9.2 with HW
    akcelaterom-N82 N95 8GB-E90

23. GravityCat on June 30th, 2013 23:32

i have problem while instaling it on nokia E71! it says that instalation failed! Please help!