How to: Symbian Sign Applications using Open Signed (need publisher ID)
March 4, 2008 by Don Smith
As of now, you need a Published ID to do this.
The people at Symbian Signed has worked hard to provide us, the users, an easy way of signing our applications without using additional applications or paying Publisher ID’s. The whole process is now handled directly from the Symbian Signed webpage and all you need is a working e-mail adress. The service is still in beta and is somewhat limited which is also why I myself have not had a chance to try it out yet so consider this post a beta aswell for now (but I will of course, and I’ll update this post when I have).
Many cudos to all the people and Symbian Signed who made this a reality!
The main features of this signing option are:
- the process is online
- no Publisher ID is required
- no Symbian Signed account is required
- no tool downloads are required, so it is platform independent
- all user and most system capabilities may be requested (excludes the Restricted System Capabilities CommDD, DiskAdmin, NetworkControl, MultimediaDD and Device Manufacturer capabilities)
- applications are restricted to one device, specified by IMEI
- there is no cost to developers.
So you want to sign an unsigned freeware or shareware application/game? No problem, it should be easy, keep reading after the break and I’ll guide you all the way.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
» Requires a valid email account.
» Developers must list the Capabilities required by the application as part of the online process, and accept an online legal agreement.
» Device IMEI must be known.
Step 1. Go to the Symbian Signed public website and access the service
The information you provide will be encoded into a Developer Certificate which the portal will generate and use to sign your application. You will not be able to download the Developer Certificate.
- Go to www.symbiansigned.com and click on the Symbian Signed Overview tab.
- From the Welcome page click on the Open Signed Online link (may be unavailable from time to time during the beta period) to go to the online submission page.
- Enter the requested information in the online form, including device IMEI (which you can get with your phone by typing *#06# in idle mode or by simply checking the sticker underneath the batteryholder) and your name or username if you have one.
- Select the capabilities required by your application.
- On your local machine, navigate to the SIS file of the application you are submitting for signing.
- Enter the security code displayed and prompted for.
- Click to view the legal agreement.
- Click on Close after you have read the legal agreement.
Step 2. Supply a valid email address
You will need to supply a valid email address, to which a link to your signed application will be sent when signing is complete.
- Enter a valid email address.
- Click on the Submit button to complete the process.
Step 3. Confirm your email address
An email will be sent to you containing a link to confirm your email address. Click the link to confirm.
Step 4: Access your email account to download your signed application
An email will be sent to you containing a link to your Developer Certificate signed application SIS file. Click the link to download your application.
Restrictions and Limits
- This signing option is not to be used for any form of commercial distribution of applications.
- If UIDs from the protected range are used, they must have been allocated to the submitter.
- UIDs outside the protected range may be used.
- No Publisher ID is required so there is no validation of developer identity, except for a confirmation that the email address supplied is live at the time of certificate issue. Therefore, end users may be presented with an install time warning and prompted to complete installation.
- Applications are restricted by device IMEI to one device.
- No access to Restricted System Capabilities or Device Manufacturer Capabilities.
- Applications are signed with a Developer Certificate against the Symbian A Root certificate.
- Signed applications are valid for 36 months from the date of signing.
Good luck and remember, all feedback is good feedback. Let us know how you did.