How to: Symbian Sign Applications using Open Signed (need publisher ID)

March 4, 2008 by

symbian signed logo How to: Symbian Sign Applications using Open Signed (need publisher ID)

As of now, you need a Published ID to do this.

The people at Symbian Signed has worked hard to provide us, the users, an easy way of signing our applications without using additional applications or paying Publisher ID’s. The whole process is now handled directly from the Symbian Signed webpage and all you need is a working e-mail adress. The service is still in beta and is somewhat limited which is also why I myself have not had a chance to try it out yet so consider this post a beta aswell for now (but I will of course, and I’ll update this post when I have).

Many cudos to all the people and Symbian Signed who made this a reality!

The main features of this signing option are:

• the process is online
  • no Publisher ID is required
  • no Symbian Signed account is required
  • no tool downloads are required, so it is platform independent
  • all user and most system capabilities may be requested (excludes the Restricted System Capabilities CommDD, DiskAdmin, NetworkControl, MultimediaDD and Device Manufacturer capabilities)
  • applications are restricted to one device, specified by IMEI
  • there is no cost to developers.

So you want to sign an unsigned freeware or shareware application/game? No problem, it should be easy, keep reading after the break and I’ll guide you all the way.

Here’s what you’ll need to do:

Checklist

» Requires a valid email account.

» Developers must list the Capabilities required by the application as part of the online process, and accept an online legal agreement.

» Device IMEI must be known.

Step 1. Go to the Symbian Signed public website and access the service

The information you provide will be encoded into a Developer Certificate which the portal will generate and use to sign your application. You will not be able to download the Developer Certificate.

1. Go to www.symbiansigned.com and click on the Symbian Signed Overview tab.
  2. From the Welcome page click on the Open Signed Online link (may be unavailable from time to time during the beta period) to go to the online submission page.
  3. Enter the requested information in the online form, including device IMEI (which you can get with your phone by typing *#06# in idle mode or by simply checking the sticker underneath the batteryholder) and your name or username if you have one.
  4. Select the capabilities required by your application.
  5. On your local machine, navigate to the SIS file of the application you are submitting for signing.
  6. Enter the security code displayed and prompted for.
  7. Click to view the legal agreement.
  8. Click on Close after you have read the legal agreement.

Step 2. Supply a valid email address

You will need to supply a valid email address, to which a link to your signed application will be sent when signing is complete.

1. Enter a valid email address.
  2. Click on the Submit button to complete the process.

Step 3. Confirm your email address

An email will be sent to you containing a link to confirm your email address. Click the link to confirm.

Step 4: Access your email account to download your signed application

An email will be sent to you containing a link to your Developer Certificate signed application SIS file. Click the link to download your application.

Restrictions and Limits

• This signing option is not to be used for any form of commercial distribution of applications.
  • If UIDs from the protected range are used, they must have been allocated to the submitter.
  • UIDs outside the protected range may be used.
  • No Publisher ID is required so there is no validation of developer identity, except for a confirmation that the email address supplied is live at the time of certificate issue. Therefore, end users may be presented with an install time warning and prompted to complete installation.
  • Applications are restricted by device IMEI to one device.
  • No access to Restricted System Capabilities or Device Manufacturer Capabilities.
  • Applications are signed with a Developer Certificate against the Symbian A Root certificate.
  • Signed applications are valid for 36 months from the date of signing.

Good luck and remember, all feedback is good feedback. Let us know how you did.

button How to: Symbian Sign Applications using Open Signed (need publisher ID)

Comments

43 Responses to “How to: Symbian Sign Applications using Open Signed (need publisher ID)”

1. How to: Symbian Sign your freeware applications (so you can install stuff like RotateMe) | Simply Symbian on March 4th, 2008 11:05

[...] How to: Symbian Sign Applications using Open Signed (without a Publisher ID) [...]

2. Adonis on March 4th, 2008 11:35

I have been having trouble with getting a cert file from Symbian Signed, especially with their new process. This might come in handy. Thanks.

3. martyn britton on March 4th, 2008 19:16

from a brief look at there new system, it is still completly useless to us people without developer publisher ID, as only the developer who has the regestered UID of the application tied to his/her email address can sign the application, so we still cant sign freeware applications unless we own the UID of the application

completly suck, and this has killed the freeware community and will probally make the warez scene ever more of a problem than it allready is..

4. http://blogs.forum.nokia.com on March 10th, 2008 08:25

No developer with an intact brain will ever release an unsigned application. No end-user with an intact brain will ever install an unsigned/uncertified application. Use the Symbian Signed for Freeware release channel.

5. gayan on March 19th, 2008 14:31

SYMBIANSIGNED SUCKS!….ITS THE WORST THING THAT HAPPENED TO SYMBIAN USERS…!

6. Steve0 on March 20th, 2008 16:33

Echoing Matyn Britton’s comments, this post should not be titled ‘without a publisher ID’ because unless the publisher has specifically tied the UID to your IMEI then it wont sign with out the Publisher ID. So for people like Samir’s Nokmote, which he has designated a freeware app, this is a load of garbage – it must be against competition rules or something – people installing freeware are doing nothing illegal – it would like Vista not allowing ‘free’ programs like Acrobat reader not to be installed.
    From Symbian point of view – hats off you have produced a secure method to protect software – problem is by doing such you may kill the market you are trying to protect.
    There must be some way to sign freeware apps…any ideas???

7. Steve0 on March 20th, 2008 16:36

Correction…UID tied to email…

8. abbas on April 4th, 2008 18:05

Open Signed Online it always give this error:
    FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses a UID that is not allocated to the account holder matching this email address (0×20000140 0×20000139 0x2000013b 0x2000013a 0×20000138 0x2000013c )

9. r.a.k on April 15th, 2008 19:53

they should really change their name to simplysucks! one of the main reasons i upgraded my standard N95 to the 8GB version was that i knew i could sign apps for it…but no! because i dont want to spend $200 on a publisher id, i havta b locked out!! they might as well take away the DevCert request tool now anyway coz its utterly useless with their new regime!! total bulls**t!!…i’m gonna spend the next few weeks lookin out for a way to sign apps without using simplysucks!!

10. Neo72 on April 19th, 2008 02:19

Well that didnd’t work, but why am I not supprised as I’ve been trying to get this little sucker signed for 3 days now, I keep getting all different advise different programs which are supposed to sign it for you but nothing. I even signed up to symbian signed what a waste of time that was………. If I hadn’t have seen this program working on the net and seen how cool it was I woulodn’t give a crap but I’ve seen it in action and I want it………..can someone here sign it for me???

11. Sergey on April 19th, 2008 07:17

To just test my freeware ping utuilty i have to pay $200 for publisher id. Does Symbian hates its own OS?

Looks like KGB rules symbian.

12. Shanx-Z on April 21st, 2008 01:10

Symbian really did it this time, they made it simply suck, how the earth am i going to sign freeware products now without the UID being open. they are really going to start making the market fall into pieces. Symbian get the customers not try start losing them.

13. STRATFORD E15 on May 1st, 2008 22:13

All the developers who release their ‘freeware’ app as UNSIGNED are fuck faced twat-arses

14. KKSWARJITH on May 20th, 2008 12:53

Error Helpme

FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses uses capabilites that were not selected

15. phillb on May 23rd, 2008 00:46

Hi list
    The solution here is to write a signed app which loads unsigned apps.
    This can then expose a runtime api which can defeat the entire system.
    In the meantime warn your friends off. I’ve already warned Russell about this. He says “that’s what happens when juniors are left in charge of a serious projects”
    Symbian phones are off his list but then again so are microsoft phones.

16. abso on May 24th, 2008 12:02

I tried to use Open Signed Online, but after I load my applocation its says that:
    file is too large.
    ….

17. Neo on May 27th, 2008 18:38

That does it. I’m selling my n96 and going to but iphone.

18. sv on June 13th, 2008 12:21

windows mobile forever. symbian – trash

19. sdfga on June 25th, 2008 16:06

If Nokia doesn’t fix this quickly it will go bankrup, I sent my n95 back and got me an windows-mobile compatible, so far so good. No locking bulshit! Fuck symbian!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it is related to the bush admin

20. Kristoffer on June 29th, 2008 03:20

Getting pretty fed up with the idiotic FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses a UID that is not allocated to the account holder matching this email address (0x20011d3e ).

Good going Symbian, you are locking out freeware tools to the masses. Let’s see you ask for money for each app we install on our phones through the carriers.. I won’t be surprised if that happened down the road. Shitty system.

21. Robin Ridge on July 6th, 2008 23:34

To think I was even considerering a N96. I’ll just stick to my N95 and watch to see if this fiasco resolves. No one in there right mind, aware of these problems, would buy into the symbian operating system, when Symbian have locked them out of the freeware market place. At the moment I wouldn’t buy any symbian phone/software, as a protest to what is going on.

22. max on July 14th, 2008 04:10

luckily i got 2 csr approved last year,before symbian sign start forcing us to pay for published ID. now i can sign unsign freeware for 2 phones only…which is mine & my fren…

23. ouali on July 29th, 2008 15:08

Very important

to sign applications you must have two files certificate and key and a software sissigner for more information contact me by mail oualihc@hotmail.fr I remain sign any applications

24. reggolb on July 30th, 2008 19:21

SignHelper – worth checking out this link to avoid paying for signing every new release of your Symbian applications – http://www.maccent.com/signhelper.php

25. infeqt0r on August 7th, 2008 04:24

This is so low for a Symbian OMG…….i have to say they really suck.I’ve been tryin’ to sign some apps since yesterday,but thats was just a waste of time :S

26. roXon (Croatia) on August 25th, 2008 14:21

Dear SIMPLY (NOT) SYMBIAN

i’m a newbie, i bought recently a Nokia N95.
    And now i realize:

So sad. Developers… freeks, geeks. Great progz, thmz and appz for nothing.

Why should be easy if can be complicate! right?!

These last days i’m wasting my time on the web and pc trying to solve how to install one free app for Ex: rotateme (for nokia n95).
    I have an IQ of 135, sometines less :-) I’n not a MENSA member and cause of that i dont know how to copy progz and other to my phone. I tryed (lookz almost) everithing.
    When i succeed to install somethim that cost me a lot of time. (Remembre the time of ”DragAndDropAndLook!ItWorks!”??… NOT?…. oh…jeah, that’s past…
    And i’m so happy. Not.

Half world is seek of poverty and the other half of certificate errors.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE: WHEN SHOULD THE LITTLE USERS BE CAPABLE TO EASELY INSTALL AND RUN (FREE or not) GAMES, APPLICATIONS, THEMES, PROGRAMS AND MANY OTHER NICE STUFFS ????????
    Anyone, answer me please (”echo sound”)

Try at least to fix the stupid problems on the web page.

Greetz from the land of 1000 ilands.

27. Hashim on September 3rd, 2008 21:54

which email id will be work with the Symbiansigned.com site.

28. SymbianSigned on September 29th, 2008 02:39

Sign your Nokia applications 3rd edition on your PC

The most part of the persons with Nokia 3rd edition have problems of installation of applications .sis during the installation of these last on Nokia one accept a message of error certificate error or certificate exhaled or restricted by the certificate in these cases it is necessary to sign before application

Procedure of signature of applications .sis and sisx
    I introduce you a very simple and easy method to sign applications on your PC First one owe to have a SISSigner software, this software one install it on the PC

Click on this link to download SISSigner:

For the installation of SISSigner open archive sissignerinstal.exe click sissignerinstal.exe Then click on browse click on office(bureau) ok instal once you see completed above click close
    You find on the office (bureau) a file named SISSigner click on blue ball named SISSigner c that her software with they are going to sign applications it you will have a window which is made up of 4 cases

In the first hut (case) they click on button in quoted to open the .key file Second hut to open file certificate .cer Third hut they leave it Fourth space puts open the application which they want to sign for instance nokmote.sis
    Finally they click on Sign, in 2 seconds application is successfully signed They put the application signed in Nokia to install it

Files .Key and .cer is linked to the imei number of the telephone This wants to tell every telephone must have these own files as the signature to know the 2 files certificates and key serve for signing all applications

for the request of files certificate .cer and key send a mail in symbiansigned@hotmail.fr by pointing out the modele of the nokia for instance Nokia N95 and imei of Nokia to acquire imei type keyboard *#06 # dream about your nokia

or visit this site

29. Anish on December 26th, 2008 19:52

i have tried this method more than 500 times now but its not working.

I’ll be really obliged if sumbody can send me the licience for imei no
    35388-60217-20078

my personel email is anish.malhotra.pgp09@iilm.edu

Anish

30. Preshen on January 12th, 2009 10:40

Does anyone know how to extract the .cert and .key files from a previously signed application? all i have is the application.

31. Greatone on February 13th, 2009 08:43

Search HelloOx for symbian 3rd edition, it is the new hack.

32. O2MO ????? on May 14th, 2009 04:26

Symbian Signing…

Nokia’s Symbian OS which is used in all of their phones (S40, S60) and also existing in some phones from Samsung, LG etc set some pretty stringent rules on third party software accessing certain features of the OS. In order to get around these restric…

33. Ahmad Fadhil on May 18th, 2009 22:11

be Patient..
    may be unsightly matter that is sharper uses appropriate application.
    I Think developers is also trying to look for exit from difficulty that evoked by Symbian 9.x.

certain there road out of it

34. radek on May 21st, 2009 19:45

F*** you SYMBIAN !!!

I won N95 and Symbian made me hate this phone!
    I have spent fu***** two weeks trying to hack it and unsuccesfully

I M NEVER GONNA HAVE SYMBIAN PHONE AGAIN !
    and I LL DEFINITELY NEVER BUY NOKIA WITH SYMBIAN.

35. BLABLA on May 31st, 2009 13:47

SYMBIAN SUCKS
    or atleast the new firmwares SUCK

36. DOTSIS.07x on August 19th, 2009 09:50

any1 have problem to install unsign application can get cert. and key from http://www.dotsis.07x.net and hack your phone then you can install any unsigned application without problem

37. Coder55 on October 11th, 2009 04:10

ER than in the old, smaller facility, and trying to make ends meet on inpatient procedures which are referred by physicians who take, gasp, insured patients. ,

38. nico on November 8th, 2009 14:15

I sign my application in and it works http://www.noubis.com/sign-app-phone.php

39. Kapenea on December 27th, 2009 01:14

The last link (http://www.noubis.com/sign-app-phone.php) asks me for 6.90€ for installing a free app!!!

40. this sucks too on February 2nd, 2010 04:15

no solution for the problem could be find here

SYMBIAN simply sucks now

41. marlon on April 22nd, 2010 04:11

i wood like to tried ti out

42. Levo on May 25th, 2010 03:33

This sucks big time. I could sign my own apps before now I can’t even do that.

Shouldn’t be suprised when iphone beats the crap out of you and wipe out nokia and all other moronic cell phone manufacturers.

43. fax broadcasting companies on May 7th, 2012 07:36

I am really impressed with your writing skills as
    well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?

Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see
    a great blog like this one today.